Monday 28 March 2011

INSPIRED TO READ

Yippeeeee!!! I am so happy that we have finally been able to arrange another book club meeting this last week. I believe it has been at least 8 months since our last one and I have to say that I have missed it.
We don’t  follow the traditional book club agenda, by which I mean we do not all read the same book and then discuss. We bring or talk about the books we have been reading or those we have read that have made an impression on us, either good or bad, to share with the group. There were 6 of us this time and I came away with 2 books to read, one I had read about 18 years ago and had loaned to a friend and had never had returned to me. This book was Wild Swans by Jung Chang and it really did make a big impression on me, I am very much looking forward to re visiting it again. It is an autobiographical family history by the writer, which envelops the reader in a world that makes for tough reading at times due to the 3 women within the book all struggling to survive the Communism within China.  The evil and terror these women endure throughout the period between 1900’s and 1978 packs an emotional punch, great suffering is described as well as a great courage and bravery. Comes highly recommended by myself and Mrs Stubbs and it doesn’t get better than a recommendation by Mrs S!!!
The second is a graphic novel, Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware recommended to me by Katie. Katie’s love of literature is very evident in her reading and writing and in turn this had led me with much vigour to get my head stuck in books again. I have remarked on her being the Lauren Laverne of books in my eyes as her choices are somewhat alternative from the mainstream, which in turn opens up some very interesting novels that I would have otherwise failed to pick up. I thank you Mrs D for being a literary genius.
I dibbled and dabbled with reading between my university days and having children but could never call myself an avid reader. Nowadays it is very rare for me to not have a book on the go and I am loving it. I am all fingers and thumbs trying to choose which one to read after my current read of Room by Emma Donoghue which in itself is proving to be a fascinating, if not slightly disturbing read.
Looking forward to the next meet already with some great conversations which arguably steer away from books per se, but are amazingly thought provoking and utterly engaging. Thank you Ann, Pete, Franca, Emily and Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment