Wednesday 2 February 2011

RUNNING NOWHERE

This week has proved to be an unexpected pause in my training and just as things were going so well. The whole family was ill at Christmas, so was really looking forward to getting back to some structured training with my running. I entered the Bideford Half Marathon early so as to give myself a good race to target for early in the year – 6th March.
On Sunday I had a great run with Katie, we totalled 11 miles taking in the wonderful cliff top views at Upton after a long slog uphill, makes it all worth it when you can see Trevose Head in the far distance, knowing you are putting those miles in around such stunning scenery is easier than it first seems. That night the stomach said “No!!” I’m hoping to get back to the gym today and looking forward to running with the ladies on Thursday night. I have missed a hill session and some extra miles but hoping no one will notice!
Katie and I both lead the Bude Womens Running Network together and it has been nearly 18 months since we started up.  In that time I never stop being surprised by what the women achieve both in their fitness goals and in their personal goals. Some come to lose weight, others to meet other like minded people and some just to run within a social group instead of on their own. Many of the ladies will be taking part in the Bideford Half this year and that in itself makes me so very proud of them. 18 months ago these women had not run before and now it is very much a part of their lives.
Other races planned are London 10km and Forest of Dean trail run in May, possibly the Ruby Run in June and definitely the Eden Half Marathon again in October – I am slightly odd as I do seem to like the hills – just don’t ask as I don’t even know why!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment